What is this blog and/or any mention of The Ever-Growing List? Explanation.

Friday, January 2, 2015

2015 Garden: Planning

It feels like I was just pulling out the remnants from my vegetable gardens a month ago! Fall came and went so quickly I barely had time to notice! That was, at least, until I started to get that gnawing in my soul for dirt, grow-lights, and the waiting game. It's that time of year to plan for the sowing season!

After a debacle last year with my seeds not getting here in time (a month late), I figured I might get an earlier start in 2015. Order ahead of time, just in case. Right? Right!

Every year I write up a list of the different varieties of tomato I want to try, then whittle the list down until I have a group that's fairly balanced. Usually it consists of a cherry/small/cluster tomato, a plum tomato, an heirloom beefsteak, a hybrid, and then a balanced variety of oddballs in size, shape, texture, and purpose (sandwich, canning, salsa, sauce, etc.).

2015's list-of-tomatoes at the moment breaks down like this (has yet to be whittled down):
Big Rainbow
Black Krim
Nectar Hybrid
Violet Jasper
Big Mama
Cosmonaut Volkov (the name alone almost guarantees a place for 2015's peat pods!)
Indigo Rose
Watermelon Beefsteak
Pineapple
Moneymakrer
Moonglow
Ramapo
Beefsteak Red Ponderosa/Crimson Cushion
1184
Fireworks
Jersey Devil
Marianna's Peace

Aside from sugar snap peas, string beans, and other staples, this year I plan on starting some peppers, as well. I've been missing them in my gardens!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails